This BBQ chicken & seafood paella recipe makes a fantastic family feast and shows that there’s so much more to BBQ cooking than just grilling. Serve it in the centre of the table with green salad and crusty bread and a glass or two of the famous Spanish alcohol – Sangria.
Ingredients for your BBQ Chicken & Seafood Paella
- 3 large onions (peeled and chopped)
- 2 red peppers (deseed and diced)
- 1 garlic bulb (grated)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g chicken thighs or drumstick (cut into chunks)
- 9 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1.25L chicken stock
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 500g paella rice
- 200ml white wine
- 500g prawns (peeled)
- 300g mussels
- Fresh flat leaf parsley (leaves picked and chopped)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
How to make your BBQ Chicken & Seafood Paella
- Put the paella pan, or any cooking pan, onto the BBQ and add a dash of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan and fry until it turns golden brown all over.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep it warm while you work through the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the onion and pepper onto the pan and fry it for a few minutes. Then, add the garlic and paprika and cook for a minute or two. Now, return the chicken onto the pan, pour in the wine and allow it to reduce by two thirds.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pan and stir, then cover and leave it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once you’re done with your chicken, remove it from the pan again.
- Pour in the rice, stir once and leave it to cook for another 15 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then to level your rice on the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan, adding a little more stock or water if required and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through with a little bit of a bite.
- Meanwhile, slice the lemon in half and slice one of the halves into wedges. Juice the remaining half and set aside until required.
- Once your rice is ready, add the prawns and mussels to the pan. Cook them until everything is piping hot before removing from the BBQ grill. After which, stir in the parsley and lemon juice and season it with salt and pepper.
- Top it off with the lemon slices you had and serve.
There you have it! A BBQ Chicken & Seafood Paella that is a different kind of staple food from your regular fried rice and beehoon to serve at your BBQ party. You are sure to amaze your BBQ guests and have them coming back for more.